No longer Melbourne, Motera has become the world’s number one cricket stadium. Located in Sabarmati, Ahmedabad, the world’s largest cricket stadium, the Motera Stadium is equipped with new decorations and the latest facilities for the third Test match between India and England. The stadium will be inaugurated on 24 February by President Ramnath Kovind in the special presence of Union Home Minister Amit Shah.
The specialty of Motera Stadium
• After the ‘Statue of Unity’, the world’s largest statue built in Gujarat, now the state is going to set the record of world’s largest stadium in cricket.
• Sardar Patel Motera Stadium of Ahmedabad is spread over 63 acres, with a seating capacity of 1.10 lakh people.
• Melbourne, which is the largest cricket stadium in the world so far, can seat 90,000 people simultaneously.
• The estimated cost of Motera is Rs 800 crores. The stadium is built by the Larsen & Turbo (L&T) company, which built the Statue of Unity in a very short period of 5 years.
• PM’s Dream Project also includes 3 corporate boxes, Olympic level swimming pool, indoor academy, four dressing rooms for athletes, food courts and GCA club house.
A total of 11 pitches of six red and five black soils have been prepared in the stadium.
• It is the first stadium to use both clay for main and practice pitches.
• In the event of rain, the pitch can be dried in only 30 minutes.
• The state-of-the-art LED Floodlight will not warm the atmosphere and provide comfort to the spectators as well as the cricketers.
• An innovative feature of this stadium is that the 360 degree podium concourse at a height of 9 meters simplifies the movement of spectators.
• It provides a similar view to the audience from any stand.
• The corporate boxes that are designed have a seating capacity of 25 each.
• The 150-ton air-cooling tower will maintain the closed-air portion of the stadium as air-conditioned.
• As per the requirement of players of both the teams have created huge dressing rooms.
• Separate state-of-the-art gyms have been set up for both teams. A special lounge is built near the player and VIP entrance.
• The autographed bat collection of players from the teams of IPL and World Cup matches played so far in the Autograph Gallery at the stadium is the center of attraction.
• “Hall of Fame” with photographs of world famous cricketers has become an eye of the stadium.
Previously there was a capacity of 54,000 viewers
When the stadium was demolished in 2016, the Motera Stadium had a capacity of 54,000 spectators. The foundation stone of the new cricket stadium was laid by the Gujarat Cricket Association in January 2018 for the construction of a new and state-of-the-art and fully equipped stadium. Completed in a short span of two years, this stadium is becoming another wing in the Yashkalgi of Gujarat.