Astounding Astrology—Part IV (Concluding Part)
The effect of planetary movement in the Vedic astrology system or the Zodiac Western Astrology is an endless topic with several exceptionally fine aspects (similar to palmistry) it becomes rather difficult to have a conclusive prediction always for everyone. That does not mean that this Vedic science is fictitious. As usual I would like to bring one such scientific explanation by a leading chemical engineer and one of my guru’s both on technology & astrology. His observations are as under:
“Having examined the chemical engineering kinetics of rate constants ( a constant for chemical reaction) of enzyme reactions of biochemical nature under varying pH levels ranging from 1 to 9, I did not see any noticeable change for different pH of the same reactions. However, When I tried computing the kinetic rate constants just around important timings closer to planetary transits within the Zodiac system, I noticed that the rate constants were drastically changing for a while which temporarily made bio enzyme reactions either too fast or too small. If the kinetic rate constants of bio enzyme reactions under varying pH does not show any change but rapidly changes during the period of planetary transitions within a zodiac system, I can very confidently say what happens within our body are also complex biochemical reactions in several glands, and thus must influence our personal self”. Ref1
With the above prelude I would like readers to recapitulate my previous articles published in @indsamacher as under:
As the subject is as vast and as complex as any other science or technology with its spectacular several unanswered questions with a constant endeavour to decode the same Astrological science is no exception. Instead of deep scrutiny and explanations which again are extremely complex and probably may not interest readers I have touched upon some (not all) important aspects which are of interest in prima facie knowing what this science means. It should not be construed that this article covers basics of astrology which again is very vast and would not permit short explanations within a few pages of writing this article.
We all know that all the planet in the solar system affects us astrologically some way or the other. Each planet represents a different segment of our lives, a different vibe, different energy. They rule over different parts of our psyche, our desires, various needs that create who we are as a person.
Knowing your planets and what areas of your life they affect is as important as knowing your horoscope. As they all deal with distinct aspects of our lives. However, it is also important to note that a weak planet doesn’t mean it will give bad results and similarly, a strong planet will not always guarantee good results, all depends on the significations of planets in an individual’s horoscope.
In Vedic astrology, only seven planets (Sun, Moon, Jupiter, Venus, Mars, Mercury, and Saturn) are considered as actual planets. Rahu and Ketu are regarded as the shadow planets. I will now explain the significance of all these nine planets in Vedic astrology with their roles and importance
Basically, Astrology is an incomparable asset to assess the potential possibilities of our lives. Western Astrology is relatively new as compared to Vedic Astrology, as the latter has been practised for thousands of years, having written documents in the Vedas as well.Ref2
However not many are familiar with what they exactly are and why they differ. None of the two are wrong and none of the two are absolute. They have evolved in two very different ways and exist on two very different planes. So I’ll try and give an overview of both which will highlight the differences of both.
Vedic astrology as most people call it, or Jyothisha Shasta as is it’s real name is not really something that has evolved from the Vedas. It is a common misconception because of the name ‘Vedic’, but what the term really means is that it was evolved during the Vedic era in the Vedic civilization.Ref3
Western Astrology as we call it, is not really one system. It is an accumulation of systems collectively called Western astrology to distinguish how it differs from the eastern counterpart predominated by Vedic astrology.
Now, the two systems are different because of a lot of cultural and regional differences. I would try to highlight the most common ones and try to present a picture fair to both. Because as it is, people from one side are rarely learned or respectful of the other side’s viewpoint.
The primary differences are:
- Vedic astrology is millenniums old and predates even Christ. The oldest evidences are available since 6000BC. I don’t know for sure but my opinion says that it would at least be 15000 BC old given my understanding of history. Compared to it, western astrology is much newer as it is only centuries old. Being older, Vedic astrology is much more accurate in terms of quantitative predictions which often western astrologers too admire once they delve deeper into Vedic astrology. However, Vedic astrology is much more rigid given its concrete and precise rules, which essentially are a recipe for disaster for anyone who grows overly fond of the opinion that Vedic astrology is “better”. On the other hand, Western astrology is much more dynamic and adaptive. There are newer things that only western astrologers would dare explore while Vedic astrologers are too happy in their ancient cocoon. For me it is in fact a matter of pride to say that it is thanks to Western astrologers that we Vedic astrologers have better understanding of houses, cusps, and the external planets.
- Vedic astrology evolved in a time when scope and life was limited. You were either a warrior or a teacher or something very very generic. Hence, Vedic astrology evolved in a much more precise and accurate manner. We can predict things to the point because we have millenniums of evidence about how things play around with time. We started with a very limited scenario and thus we could develop an accurate understanding of how external events would take place (however, most of these principles are very rare and well-guarded, which is why most Indian astrologers always predict professions as the generic ‘teacher’, ‘engineer’, ‘doctor’ etc.). Contrary to it, Western astrology was the younger kid in town and for that poor fellow, the world was already too advanced for it to comprehend. Professions were in thousands, diseases in millions, and so on. Hence, the western astrological understanding is about possibilities and alternatives. It is about approaches and how to make the best of situations. Western astrology did not have the building blocks thanks to the ancient historical evidence, they started in a situation where similar situations could mean several alternatives. Hence, their focus shifted to how to make the best choice rather than what would happen. Combined with the Christian ideology of free-will that had emerged, western astrology talks more of what “a man can do” and less of what would “happen to the man”. Hence, a western astrologer is a much better counsellor because he/she would talk more of how you can do the best thing while a generic Vedic astrologer will talk about how things will turn out and how it would affect you. If a Vedic astrologer is learned enough to be bang on correct, he/she would far outweigh a western astrologer in his predictive abilities of “events”. However, unless a Vedic astrologer is learned in psychology or considerate enough, he/she would either get you depressed or make you dependent on tricks. Contrary to it, a western astrologer would be able to talk about who you are, how you are, and how you must adapt to make the most of your life. Hence, a western astrologer will always give you a path, a Vedic astrologer mostly gives you a judgement (often wrong, if I may add; looking at the condition of Vedic astrology in India where 9 out of 10 are unlearned people).
- Vedic astrology has remarkable predictive abilities. A Vedic astrologer can tell whether you have a cut on your face or not, whether you live near a lake or not. Whether you would prefer sweet, bitter, spicy food; whether you would have a good handwriting or not; and so on. Western astrology can never match the predictive abilities of Vedic astrology. Not even on the worst day of a Vedic astrologer and the best day of a Western astrologer. However, western astrology has amazing counselling skills which Vedic astrologers can never possess unless they consciously make an effort towards it. A western astrologer will tell you about your perceptions, how your own ideology and your own habits are stopping you from success, how you can change to be a better person; how success can be achieved by working on yourself. A Vedic astrologer will never delve into these matters, he/she would basically leave it all to you to decide what you do of the information overload he/she gives. You would basically be more sorted when you leave a western astrologer, but you may lose sleep after meeting a Vedic astrologer. Especially the not so learned ones. They would make predictions ranging from the death of your spouse to the destruction of your business with such confidence that you would have a heart-attack.
- Western astrology has perfected the use of house systems, interpretation of planets for their behavioural influences etc. Vedic astrology has perfected the prediction of “destiny” or “fate” which one has. Because let’s face it, the fact that you’re talking on phone is much more related to your destiny ensuring that you’re born on digital era than your own free will.
- A good Vedic astrologer can read your face or your walk or your habits or your house just as he/she reads your horoscope. Because as per our principles; destiny, if it exists, must reflect everywhere whether you read it from the person’s palm, or face, or house, or anything. Some astrologers can even cast your horoscope based on your face and palm which you can also verify whether it is accurate.
- Vedic astrology does not view technicalities. We’ve been dwelling too much on half-learned rules and ignoring a major chunk. Vedic astrologers have just forgotten the concept of degrees which is a very significant part of astrology. A western astrologer knows the difference if the conjunction is 5 degrees apart or 10 degrees apart. A Vedic astrologer would just see conjunction.
- Finally, as a science of predictions, Vedic astrology is unparalleled and unmatched. The kind of predictions a Vedic astrologer can make and the details that a good Vedic astrologer can deliver are just out of the league of Western astrology. But on the other hand, the understanding of actions, behaviours, perceptions and psychology that a western astrologer has is also unparalleled and unmatched.
A good Vedic astrologer would say that, “You have such a combination in your horoscope which indicates that you would be short tempered, have a cut on your face, will have a muscular and lean appearance with a modest height. You would occasionally have problems in your life where in you might be required to put in much more effort and patience in the task to succeed. You would have to face disappointments before you actually succeed.”
The Vedic astrologer would indeed be true, and each world would come to pass. But the person going to the western astrologer would know that his impulse is what is holding him back. He won’t be able to improve quite a lot on it, but he would always strive to improve which would give him a positive attitude towards life. When he would fail, he would blame his own impulse. When he would succeed, he would praise his own efforts.
MAJOR SALIENT NITTY-GRITTIES
The twelve zodiac houses
- Aries/Mesha time duration (March 20-April 20Th) , ruled by Mars/Mangal/Chevvai, Fiery, mutable, Sun/Sooriya is exalted & Saturn/Shani is debilitated. Represented by Ram House of Mars/Mangal/Chevvai. 0 to 300. Mars is characterized by blood red colour & red ruby stone, metals which melt at high temperatures & Saturn by Sapphire blue stone, least nobler metals like tin, and represented by black colour. Rahu is exalted, multilingual, foreign languages, novel & new, dark blue or blackish blue.
- Taurus/Rishabh, time duration- (April 21- May 21st), ruled by Venus/Shukra 30-600, Earthly sign, represented by the bull, characterized by diamond and other precious white coloured stones, white colour, artists, & rich.
- Gemini/Mithuna time duration (May22-June22nd) ruled by Mercury/Buddha, 60-900, airy sign, represented by twins, represented by green stone, green colour, intellects, lawyers, speakers, actors, orators, etc.
- Cancer/Kataka time duration (June 23-July 24Th ),90-1200 ruled by Moon, represented by crab and a watery sign. Jupiter exalted. Moon is represented by light white or dull white colour, Pearl, . Jupiter is characterized as tall, hefty, expansive, yellow colour, and represented by yellow sapphire.
- Leo/Simha time duration (July 23- August22Nd), 120-1500 ruled by Sun, fiery sign, represented by white colour, white ruby, tall and strong.
- Virgo/Kanni time duration (Aug 23-Sep22Nd),150-1800, Ruled by exalted Mercury, debilitated Venus Earthly sign, represented by a spinster, represented by dark green colour, dark green stone gem, quick, wavering but witty.
- Libra/ Thula time duration (September23-Oct22Nd), 180-2100, represented by balance, ruled by Venus/Shukra., mutable airy sign, Saturn exalted
- Scorpio/Vrichika owned by Mars, time duration (Oct23-Nov21), Kethu Exalted, 210-2400, watery sign, Kethu gemstone is cats eye, represented by bright multi-coloured brownish black.
- Sagittarius time duration (Nov22-Dec 21),ruled by Jupiter, fiery mutable sign 20-2700,
- Capricorn time duration (Dec 21-Jan 20Th), 270-3000,ruled by Saturn, earth sign, Jupiter debilitated,
- Aquarius time duration (Jan20-Feb 19) ruled by Saturn, Mars debilitated, 300-3300 ,earth sign.
- Pisces time duration (Feb 19- Mar 20Th), 330-3600, ruled by Jupiter, exalted Venus, debilitated Mercury.
- It can be inferred that planets reach exaltation at 180 where they are debilitated.
- Mars, Jupiter, Saturn & Venus & Mercury own two houses, Sun & Moon 1 each.
- Rahu & Kethu takes ownership of whatever house they occupy. They are shadow planets and considered as axis of earth and always maintain 1800between their nodes.
- There are 27 stars commencing with Ashwini/Awasthi and ending with Revathi.
- Each star commencing from Ashwini has 4 sub parts, called padas, and each and every zodiac sign can accommodate 9 padas/sub parts of the star in the order commencing from Ashwini/Aswathy to Revathi., ie Aswathy, Bharani/AbaBharani, Kritika/Kritika, Rohini, Mrigaseerishim/Mrigashherisha, Thiruvadirai/Araridra, Punar poosam/Punarvasu, Poosam/Pushya, Ayiliam/Aylesha, Magam/Magha, Pooram/Poorvapalguni, Uttiram/Uthrapalguni , Hastham/Hastha, Chittirai/Chitra, Swathi, Visakam/Visakha, Anusham/Anuradha, Kettai/Jyeshta, Moolam/Moola, Pooradam/Poorvashada, Uttradam/Uthrashada Thiruvonam/Sravana, Avittam/Srivishta, Sadhayam/Sadbishak, Pooratadadhi/Poorva Prashtapada, Uthiratadhi/Utraprashtopada, Revathi.
- All the 27 stars represent one planet, ie Aswathy represents Kethu, Bharani represents Venus, etc as under defined: (a)Kritika/Uthirai/Uttradam—Star lord Sun (b)Thiruvadirai/Swathi/Sadhayam—Star lord-Rahu, (c) Ayiliam/Kettai/Revathi—Star lord-Mercury, (d) Rohini/Hastham/Thiruvonam—Star lord—Star Lord Moon, (e) Punarpoosam/Visakham/Pooratadhi—Star lord Jupiter, (f) Ashwini/Magam/Moolam—Star lord Kethu, (g) Mrigaseerishim/Chittirai/Avittam—Star Lord Mars (h) Poosam/Anusham/Uthiratadhi—Star lor Saturn, (i) Bharani/Pooram/Pooradam—Star lord Venus.
- The balance dasa at the time of birth is computed as the Dasa that is represented by its star lord. For example, If a person is born on a day which has Bharani for the whole day, he is supposed to have Venus Das at the time of birth. The balance carries forward of Venus Dasa would depend on which pada he is born which is roughly 5 years per pada considering Venus Dasa is for 20 years. If he is born between the second and third pada, he is likely to have completed 10 years of Venus Dasa prior to birth plus a portion of Venus dasa for the third pada at the time he was born. Dasa Bhukti Periods balance is used to determine the remaining period of Maha dasa and Bhukti at the time of birth.
The Dasa balance is calculated according to the length of the Moon in the Birth Nakshatra | Birth Star | Janma Nakshatra at the time of birth. Vimshottari Dasa is the most important Dasa of Vedic astrology, which is a cycle of 120 years based on the maximum possible life span for an individual.
Each of the seven planets and the two lunar nodes (Navagraha) has its own period or Maha dasa in the cycle.
The Vimshottari dasa is linked to the system of Nakshatras or Lunar mansions by the fact that each of the Navagraha is the lord (or ruler) of three of the twenty seven nakshatras which together with the position of the moon.
Vimshottari Dasha assumes that the maximum duration of life of an individual human being is 120 years which is the aggregate duration of all nine planetary periods.
Ketu 7 Years, Venus 20 Years, Sun 6 Years, Moon 10 Years, Mars 7 Years, Rahu 18 Years, Jupiter 16 Years, Saturn 19 Years and Mercury 17 Years in the order of their operation.
Each dasa is controlled by one of the nine planets and the quality and relative benevolence of each period is determined by the condition and position of that planet in the Natal Chart | Birth Chart.
There are nine planets or grahas which severally rule the nine dasas, the seven planets, the north node-Rahu, and the south node-Ketu of the Moon.
Events bestows in the sub-periods of indicative planets. Therefore, it is very important that we understand the method of analysing the Dasa Bhukti Periods results.
Though various types of conditional planetary periods are available, Vimshottari dasa system has been mentioned for general applications.
Based on the longitude of the Moon in the natal charts, the balance of operational Vimshottari Maha dasa is calculated.
The order of the main periods (dasa) under the Vimshottari dasa system is the dasa of the Sun followed by the Moon, Mars, Rahu, Jupiter, Saturn, Mercury, Ketu and Venus.
Antardasha is the extended period of a Maha dasa that is subdivided into into nine segments of Maha dasa. It is also known as ’sub-ruling-periods’. Antardasha runs in the same order as the Maha dasa with the same proportional length.
Mahadasha periods of Planets
Dasha and antardasha of planets are calculated on the basis of the years of mahadasha of the planet with the other planet.
|Planets||Maha Dasha Time Period|
|Sun or Surya Mahadasha||6 Years|
|Moon or Chandra Mahadasha||10 Years|
|Mars or Mangal Mahadasha||7 Years|
|Mercury or Budh Maha Dasha||17 Years|
|Jupiter or Guru Mahadasha||16 Years|
|Venus or Shukra Mahadasha||20 Years|
|Saturn or Shani Maha Dasha||19 Years|
|Rahu Maha Dasha||18 Years|
|Ketu Maha Dasha||7 Years|
Calculation of Dasha and Antardasha
(a).For finding out the time period of the antardasha of a planet, in the dasa of the same, or another planet multiply the years of dasa of the former planet with the years of dasa years of the latter planet. Divide the product by the total years of dasa of all the planets i.e., 120. The product of the planets are divided by 120 years, because in the Vimshottari Dasha system the total number of years assigned to all planets is 120 years.
For example – To find Antardasha of the Sun in the Mahadasha of Venus, multiply the dasa of Venus with the dasa of Sun and then divide the product with 120 to get the result.
Venus dasa – 20 years
Sun dasa – 6 years
20 x 6 = 120 = 12 months and 0 x 3 days = 12 months
Thus, the Antardasha of the Sun in Mahadasha of Venus will be 12 months or 1 year.
(b).For finding the period of Pratyantar Dasha of the same planet, or any other planet in the antardasha of another planet multiply the years of the antardasha with the years of dasa of the other planet and divide the product by the total years of Dasha years of all the planets. The result will represent the Pratyantar Dasha of the planet.
( c).The Antardasha of the Charadi Kendradi Dasha of the planets are calculated by dividing the years of dasa of the planets by 9. The first dasa belongs to the Lord of the dasa. Thereafter, there will be antardasha of planets, placed in Kendras, Panapharas and Apoklimas, respectively, according to their strength and weakness.
(d).The Antardasha of signs are calculated dividing the years of dasa by 12.Ref4
- Transit of planets in the zodiac—The movement of various planets from one house to the other is as follows: Sun—Travels for approximately 30 days in each zodiac sign, Moon-Changes zodiac sign every 2 and a half days, Venus—Changes zodiac sign every 4 to 5 weeks, Mars—6 to 7 weeks, Jupiter—12 to 13 months, Saturn—2 to 3 years. The movement of these planets is always on a clockwise direction, while Rahu & Kethu change zodiac signs every 18 months but in anticlockwise direction.
- Characteristics & Karakas—
- The sun is regarded as the Pitrukaraka (Concerning one’s father) sun. Governs: Ego and sense of self. The sun is the source of our ego; it’s where the truth of our nature resides, where our identities are forged, eyes, radiance, brilliance, hot tempered, self-esteem, pride, spirituality & soul, combust ,considered to be the father of Saturn and confronting Saturn.
- Moon Considered as Mathrukaraka (concerning one’s mother), general well-being and happiness, femininity and beauty, the eyesight, memory, and the mind., mental balance, research, arts ,being cool, changing moods, mental equilibrium (similar to tidal changes happening on new and full moon days), writers, poets, psychics,
- Mars considered as Bhoomikaraka, physical & mental strength, courage, sportsmen, blood, violence, security, military. planet of passion, anger, war, assertion, and separation, and its placement in your birth chart indicates how you pursue your goals, assert yourself, attack and defend, and cut people or circumstances off (think breakups), lawyers, debaters, courage, confidence.
- Mercury the Vidyakaraka concerns about intellect, witty, actors, teachers, intellects, commerce, education, communication writing, books, humor, scholars, thieves, and astrologers as Vedic sage Parasara describes him. Mercury is endowed with an attractive physique and the capacity to use words with many meanings, communication, proficiency in languages
- Jupiter the Pitrukaraka (concerning father), Dhanakaraka, Jupiter is the teacher of the science of light, that is, astrology and astronomy. Jupiter is a benefic planet, signifier of luck and fortune, and he rules religion, philosophy, spirituality, wealth, and progeny. He is noble, buoyant, dignified, fruitful, optimistic, jovial, and masculine, growth, expansion, healing, prosperity, good fortune, and miracles. Jupiter governs long distance and foreign travel, big business and wealth, higher education, religion, and the law, gluttony, heavy, plays with luck, can be overconfident & pessimist at the same time.
- Venus the Kalathrakaraka (concerning spouse), Venus governs courtship and adoration, as well as personal taste and aesthetics. Venus represents your values, including your relationship with finances and material possessions. This planet is all about pleasure, so Venus just sits back and relaxes while it gets exactly what it wants, fine arts, music, feminine, acting, attracting opposite sex, beautiful, cine actors. Venus symbolizes love, appeal, ambition, beauty, and passion.
- Saturn the Ayulkaraka (concerning longevity) the individual is sparingly, diligent, persevering, reliable, stable, patient and possesses the ability to concentrate. Saturn is also the planet of strict justice. It is conservative and practical and affects the physical life elements; it indicates career and ambition, Saturn is about maturity, responsibility, discipline, and stewardship ,justice, judiciary, politician
- Rahu the Gnakaraka (Knowledge) Rahu is associated with the spiritual process of evolution, or the engrossing of spirit in materialization. Rahu is a karaka, or indicator, of worldly desire, fame, greed, high intelligence, manipulation, obsessive behaviour, foreigners, mass disease, dementia and inertia. Rahu represents materialism, mischief, fear, dissatisfaction, obsession and confusion. Rahu is also associated with politicians and occult sciences. It is generally considered as a malefic planet in astrology. Rahu is known to confer malefic effects in general and is considered as a planet which induces laziness, delays, and hurdles in work. Rahu is known to reflect its shadow for 18 months in a zodiac. It can create confusion, depression and emotional imbalance if placed negatively in the horoscope. Signified by serpent’s head and human body,
- Ketu the Moksha karaka , general characteristics: Ketu is the rest of the body of Rahu, it bestows spiritual tendencies, asceticism, and nonattachment to worldly desires and ambitions. Ketu is also a half-planet that bestows wisdom, powers of discrimination, and gyana-spiritual knowledge, the knowledge of the self.
- The Vedic astrology considers Aries as the starting point and the first house and ends with Pisces as the 12Th house, whereas the Western astrology is based on lunar calendar. The signs and planets generally have similar interpretation and symbolic meanings in both the systems, but Vedic Astrology has more accurate calculations and detailed methods involved, thus more reliable. Lagna or ascendent is always reckoned as the originating point of a horoscope. Lagna or ascendent is the timing at which a person is born on the planets moving around in the zodiac. The point of interference of lagna is how many hours post sun rise this point moves in the zodiac. Very very roughly assuming that Sun rise is at 6 AM at a particular place in the month during March 20- April 20th (Ie Aries as defined in point no 1) and if a person’s time of birth is say 6.20 am , he would be having Aries as his lagna. Similarly the lagna is reckoned as the starting month during sunrise as defined in points 1 to 12.
- What do the houses determine (Reckoned from the lagna).
- Lagna or the first house: The first house in astrology mostly refers to the head and upper part of the face when it comes to the body part it governs.
In Mundane Astrology, the first house represents the overall state of the country or the people in it. This house essentially answers some key questions about self like who are you? What do you want to do in life? How would you do it?
This underlines the process by which you become a unique individual and realize your truest self. It is the total of our personality, both the inner self and outer shell. The first house thus rules how we grow and gives a shape to how we perceive the world.
1st house in the horoscope represents the personality, physical appearance, character, temperament, self-identity, strengths, weaknesses, physical constitution as well as health. By studying the sign and planets placed in the first house, we can easily decipher a lot about one’s inner and outer self.
The position and strength of the first house lord are very important in carving the destiny of a person. The first house mostly relates to public appearance, how a person projects himself or herself to the world. It is a mirror into how we show ourselves as well as how we actually are.
1st house is called Tanu bhava in Vedic Astrology, meaning the house of the body. This is because the first house is the karaka of one’s individuality, looks, sexual appeal, attraction, bodily features, and strength. It gives a clear picture of your vim and vigour, and overall health and wellbeing.
It is a window to your general outlook towards life, which largely affects your choices and future course of events. Moreover, its astrological analysis also tells about upcoming misfortunes and mishaps. The first house in Vedic Astrology thus is very important in terms of making astrological predictions.
- The second house in Vedic astrology is often referred to as the house of possessions. This is because it reflects all that we own, material goods, accumulated wealth, possessions, and relations.
- The 3rd house in Vedic astrology relates to communication, journeys, brothers, sisters, creativity, mental intelligence, interests, habits, and inclinations. The third house is about creativity, it is also about your mind and it’s formations. If communication is the framework that includes everyone and everything, then the 3rd house is the factor that can energize or defunct us. It is in accordance with the planets which are placed in the third house Astrology.
- Well, the 4th house is chiefly identified with the idea of a home. And it caters to both, the house infrastructure made up of bricks and mortar and a home which consists of family members and the affinity which we share with them. Well, a home is very crucial to the well-being of an individual and thus the 4th house occupies a lot of importance in Astrology. The 4th house in Vedic astrology also refers to mental peace and emotional satisfaction. Various other things that fall under the 4th house are societal norms, material abundance, family history, ancestry, culture, and various types of traditions. Besides, the situation in the 4th house will decide whether a person will stay close to his/her native place or stay away. Also, if the person will have conservative, modern or revolutionary ideas will be decided by the planetary alignments in the 4th house Vedic astrology.
- The 5th House in Vedic Astrology
The 5th house also deals with all that you create, including your children. The ease or difficulty with which you beget babies is influenced by the 5th house. Even developments like conception, miscarriage, relationship with your children and their health are governed by the 5th house. Children are like your extension, so raising them is pleasurable as in a way you are nurturing yourself and ensuring that you continue even after your physical death (in the form of your progeny). Thus, the 5th house is also referred to as Putra Bhava in Vedic Astrology. Besides, the body parts which the 5th house rules include the stomach, upper and middle back, pancreas, and spine.
Significance of the 5th House
The 5th house also determines your sense of discrimination, how do you use reason and judgment to understand and manage your surroundings in the best possible manner. This house also caters to intelligence, analytical skills, coherence in taking effective decisions, righteousness and the prospects of higher education. In other words, the 5th house is about refinement in an individual. It is about the intellectual and finer side of human identity. Thus, it is the criterion between the coarse and the cultured, an important determinant for the mental level of an individual, as per the 5th house astrology.
The 5th house also determines your luck and good fortune in gambling or speculative activities. The risks that you face in speculative monetary activities can also be gauged by analysing your 5th house. All the games and developments that are based on the chance factor are dependent on the 5th house. This includes puzzles, stock market trading, sudden monetary gains, racing, betting, casinos, cards and so on, in accordance with the 5th house in Vedic astrology.
Besides, the situation in the 4th house will decide whether a person will stay close to his/her native place or stay away. Also, if the person will have conservative, modern or revolutionary ideas will be decided by the planetary alignments in the 4th house Vedic astrology.
- The signs and planets associated with the 6th house
The 6th house in Kundli is known as Shatru Bhava in Vedic Astrology. It relates to the 6th sign Virgo. The natural significator of this house is planet Mercury. It is the best house for Mercury but the weak house for Jupiter, Sun, Moon, Venus, and Saturn
The areas of life ruled and governed by the 6th House
Service and employability are the central themes as far as the 6th house in Astrology is considered. The position in the 6th house decides things like what type of work should you do, whether job will suit you or will you be more successful in business, how will be your seniors, what type of colleagues and seniors will you get, how will be your equation with those who rely upon you for their bread and butter and so on. How hard can you work, and your physical strength is also determined by 6th house ? However, you have to be careful about your health, consume healthy food and do regular exercise as per the 6th house astrology. The 6th house rules various body parts like stomach, intestines, and the digestive tract. It also refers to the armed forces that protect the nation.
- The Signs and Planets Associated with The 7th House
The 7th house is also known as Kalatra Bhava in Vedic Astrology and is ruled by the Libra sign. Planet Venus is the natural significator of this house as per the 7th house Vedic astrology. The 7th house is a weak house for Jupiter and Sun. But is the best house for Moon, Mars, Mercury, Venus, and Saturn.
The areas of life ruled and governed by the 7th House
The 7th house influences things between you and your life partner and other partners (like business partners and so on). Thus, attraction to the opposite gender, the need for commitment in a relationship, shades of passion, physical intimacy and related fantasises, level of understanding, all these are governed by the 7th house compatibility. The body parts influenced by the 7th house include kidney and lower back. So, the 7th house has lots in it for our relationships. And relationships are really very important in our life. Because it is the relationships that connect us to the people around us and everyone in this world. And what lies at the core of our relationship is marriage. As the 7th house impacts our marriage in a big way, so it is bound to influence our happiness or the lack of it in a very substantial manner.
The 7th House also influences childbirth issues
Besides, the 7th house in Kundli is about your willingness to have children. It also deals with issues like problems and disinterest in carnal fulfilment, problems in the reproductive system, infertility, and progeny problems. The 7th house also points to the reason why we take an interest in a partnership. Is it because of love, money, social pressure or any other reason?
- Scorpio governs the house of longevity and Mars is its natural ruler. It exhibits traits like mystery, passion and possessiveness. The characteristics of Scorpio dictates the 8th. It is beneficial for planets like Jupiter and Sun. However, it is a weak house for Mars, Moon, and Mercury.
What are the areas that the House rules?
Many people may not be aware, but this house also reveals the wealth factor in one’s horoscope. The impact of the 8th house may cause many changes in terms of the growth of wealth. Losses, gains, profits from insurance, etc, relates to the 8th.
When the position of the planets are unfavourable, expect anxiety and depression. Most of us may also undergo constant change and transformation. The transformation is inevitable in order to change and heal. Hence, this is also the House of transformation.
Furthermore, there are certain body parts of the 8th house governs. These are the reproductive system and the cologne. So, one must be careful in dealing with matters about the mentioned body parts.
Significance of the 8th House
When the position of the planets is favourable in the 8th house, natives may expect good fortunes. However, when the location of the planets is weak, expect malefic effects. One can say that hardships and obstacles are inevitable in this house. Hence, it is one of the most challenging houses in Vedic Astrology. People fall prey to a web of chronic illnesses, ruthless people, & unexpected things.
It deals with one’s destiny and the highs and lows in their life. People cannot rule out their destiny and undergo situations that are a part of their fate. Hence, this house proves as a vital force in bringing about changes in one’s life. How individuals deal with hardships and trying times depends on the position of the signs and planets.
Negative effects of the 8th
When the planets are malefic, one’s lifespan may get impacted. One can expect chronic illness, mental anxiety and misery. One’s mental peace may also go for a toss. It also deals with issues revolving around money, addictions, separation & death. There are also chances of involvement in criminal activities. Misery may arise as a result of its negative influence.
People may move away from material comfort and pleasures. And get stuck in miserable conditions. But the 8th represents the will to attain Moksha. It is the house of answering to higher voice. Moreover, it brings self-realisation for cleansing of the inner self and soul.
Transformation is necessary for healing. It also purifies your soul. The 8th is about healing and letting go of bad karma.
The positive effects of the 8th
Similarly, when the position of planets is favourable, results are rewarding. There are chances of a longer lifespan and defeating your arch-rivals. One’s psychic abilities are also at its peak. They take interest in metaphysical subjects. People get drawn towards subjects like paranormal studies, psychology science & maths. Moreover, they tend to outshine in their field.
The eighth house represents the following points below-
- Successful marriage.
- Compatibility of married couples
- Death, injuries
- Life span
- Loss of authority
- Ups and downs of life
- Winning and losing
- Accolades and fame
- War and weapon
- Well, the 9th house is also known as the Dharma Bhava in Astrology. The Dharma Bhava or the 9th house represents one’s religious instincts, dutifulness, uprightness, good karma, morality (ethics), higher & spiritual values. The strength of the 9th house determines whether one will be of a religious bent of mind or not. It decides the variation from conservatism to modernity, from orthodoxy to heterodoxy and so on. Whether one will be generous or not is also decided by the 9th house. So, the 9th house decides what will be the direction & flow of our ideology and our attitude and approach in life.
Signs and planets associated with the 9th House
Well, the 9th house relates to the Sagittarius sign. Besides, Jupiter is the natural significator of the 9th house. Jupiter, in turn, relates to good luck, wealth, fortune, higher learning, wisdom and spirituality.
The 9th House vis-a-vis the planets
In Vedic astrology, the 9th house is the best house for Jupiter, Sun, Moon, Mars and a weak house for Mercury and Venus. Besides, the 9th house is the strongest trine house and when it forms a combination with the 10th house, which is considered the strongest angle house; it forms a powerful Raj Yoga, awarding the native with wealth, name and fame in abundance in accordance with the 9th house Vedic astrology. The presence of Good Yogas in your horoscope is a mark of quality of life, you would be leading. Get detailed information about all possible Yogas in your Kundali with Janampatri.
What are the areas that the 9th House rules and governs in individual life?
The invention, research and exploration fall in the jurisdiction of the 9th house in the Kundli. The 9th house also refers to law, judgement, religious subjects, education, immigration and the likes. The body parts associated with the 9th house include buttocks and thighs. Also, the strength of your teachings and belief system will be determined by the planetary placements in the 9th house. Other things related to the 9th house include how much higher truths will you learn and will you move towards godliness & spirituality.
The significance of the 9th House
The 9th house is also the house of luck. How will the fortune treat you, will be decided by the 9th house Vedic astrology. Will you be able to set to rest your troubles or not, the 9th house will decide. Besides, the 9th house is the Karak (factor) of higher education. 9th house is often more frequent in the horoscope of significant writers. Well, the 9th house represents the journey towards the unknown. It is about the urge to search what is beyond and above us. This usually happens either through pursuing higher education or by studying psychology, philosophy and spirituality as per the 9th house astrology.
Thus, the 9th house in Kundli is particularly important because it deals with those aspects of life over which we do not have good control. Indeed, the 9th house has more to do with our accumulated karma of the past lives, which unravel and unfold before us in the form of unexpected developments & unforeseen consequences.
Stay on the right side of Karma as Saturn Transit will give you results based on your hard work. Know what changes Saturn Transit will bring in your life with Saturn Transit Report.
What picture does the 9th House project for future prediction?
The 9th house in the horoscope also stands for father. What type of relationship will you share with him, how lucky are you for him or he is for you, and yours & his financial status. Along with your father, the 9th house also stands for your mentor and teacher. In addition, the 9th house is about your relationship with your brother-in-law and sister-in-law. The 9th house also indicates a strong possibility of foreign travel. The astrological combination in the 9th house will indicate about the long-distance journeys that you may undertake and whether they will be fruitful or not, in accordance with ninth house astrology.
- Amongst the 12 houses in Astrology, the role and purpose of the 10th house need not be overemphasized. The 10th house is called the Karma Bhava in Vedic Astrology. It deals with the kind of work that you do. Your area of occupation is determined by the planetary placements in this house as per 10th house astrology.
The signs and planets associated with the 10th House
Well, the 10th house deals with the Capricorn sign. And we know that the Capricorn sign deals with workaholic tendencies and ambitious targets. Also, Saturn and Mars are associated with the 10th house strongly and it is clear that these two houses are also related to work and aspiration. The 10th house is a weak house for the planet Jupiter, Sun, and Moon. On the other hand, the 10th house is Saturn’s own house. After 30 years Saturn will transit in its own home sign Capricorn. How will it affect your life – personally and professionally?
What are the areas that the 10th House rules and governs in individual life?
In the worldly or mundane astrology, 10th house refers to the main or the chief leader whether it is the Prime Minister (PM) or a royal figure. Besides, the ruling political party in the country or the state is also represented by the 10th house. In fact, the cream of the society (that is the most influential people) also fall under the domain of the 10th house. The factors determined by the 10th house are values, integrity, status and pride of a nation. Besides, the house also relates to the areas like the commercial, political and employment industries, according to 10th house Vedic astrology.
The significance of the 10th House
The importance of the 10th house is immense as this house is about what we earn and how we earn it. As the occupation and profession is the bread butter for most people, so the planetary position in this house can determine and influence a very significant factor in our life. The 10th house in Kundli is the region in Astrology diagram that is the highest at the time and place of your birth. And that is exactly what the 10th house represents – your highest achievements and your desire to rise high. Well, the 10th house is also about power, prestige, social status, financial success, achievement, accomplishment, respect, and position.
10th house is the most important angular house. When it makes a combination with 9th house , it forms the biggest Raj Yoga, leading the native towards success. It is also the “Artha” house, which means the economy. So your financial prosperity and material strength also come under 10th house. So, the 10th house is also about your financial situation and materialistic destiny.
The 10th house in Kundli determines your materialistic success in life, be it your profession or the financial status. And your worldly success is bound to influence the other areas of life as well like your relationship with others, your love life and so on. Certainly, the planetary placement in the 10th house strongly influences the quality of your life
- The eleventh house is a favorable one. Hence, it is famous as the Labha house in Vedic Astrology. This represents gains in terms of income and monetary benefits. People with a strong 11th in their Kundli may reap profits and gains in abundance.
One’s desires, aim & accomplishments are significant takeaways of the 11th. It reveals your sources of sudden income or benefits, which may include external sources, inheritance, lottery, etc. In short, things influencing this house plays a significant role in determining your gains and ways of income.
The Eleventh House is also the House of Friends. Through friendships, one can see the power of collective strength. Groups which this house addresses are clubs, networks & social groups. The 11th house deals with the activities people execute within these groups & how they profit from them.
It represents one’s social sphere or domain. It governs the people supporting someone to realize their dreams. The house answers some specific questions. It includes whether a person is a social butterfly or likes to spend time alone. One can also learn about their close circle or the well-wishers from here. Sometimes people may come into our lives to elevate us in the form of financial help. Whether we profit from such connections and make monetary gains also reflect in this house.
- The 1st house is about the beginning or birth while the 12th house in Vedic astrology stands for the completion of the lifecycle, thus it stands for ending. Thus, amongst the twelve houses of the zodiac, the 12th house is about seclusion, solitude, and emancipation. The 12th house is also called the house of detachment.
The signs and planets associated with the 12th House
The 12th house is related to the 12th sign in the zodiac circle, Pisces. This sign is characterised by intuition, isolation and imagination. Besides, Saturn is the natural significator of the 12th house. The 12th house is the best house for the following planets: Jupiter, Sun, Mars, Venus and Saturn. And the 12th house is weak for Moon and Mercury. The areas of life ruled and governed by the 12th House
The 12th house in the horoscope stands for all that you have to detach yourself from. Thus, it includes your materialistic desires, source of expenses and so on. If this house gets afflicted, it may lead to jail imprisonment, hospitalisation, sleeplessness, separation, addictions and so on. The affliction of the 12th house may also result in mental weakness. You may even get addicted to unspiritual addictions such as alcoholic intoxication, obsession with sexuality and so on. The 12th house stands for law enforcement, penalty, health institutions, charitable companies, and NGOs. crime, espionage and so on as per astrology.
The significance of the 12th House
The 12th house is a very important house for those who are moving on the spiritual path, like monks, sages and people trying to get enlightenment. This house also influences places like ashrams, meditation centres, monasteries, places of worship and so on. It is the house which determines your capacity to give up everything to become one with the divine force, in other words, your willingness and ability to renounce the materialistic joys and pursue the spiritual journey. Besides, the 12th house also determines your ability to be giving and generous. Besides, the actions without expectations also relate to this house. The qualities of humility and compassion are determined by the 12th house. It stands for losing yourself in order to find God and then become one with him.
23.Benefic and malefic/Good & bad planets: In a true sense there are no good or bad planets, and they can be good and bad depending on its strength. A benefic planet placed in a weak house would make the individual not gain strength. Similarly, a malefic planet when hidden or inactive houses would considerably reduce the malefic nature of the planet. A lot depends on which house a planet is situated, whom he is aspecting and whom he is being aspected. The star lord of the planet, and how a planet is placed in Rasi and Navamsa. As a general guideline Jupiter, Venus, Mercury, waxing moon are considered beneficial while waning moon, Saturn, Mars, Sun, Rahu, Kethu are considered malefic.
24.Considered from ascendent the fourth, seventh and tenth houses are called squares or kendras, & the fifth and nineth houses are called Trikonas or trines. In the event of a kendra lord and trikona lord combining in any house it produces a Raja Yoga, some very good comforts or advantages. Combination or aspect of a planet in exaltation & debilitation produces Neecha Banga Raja Yoga, meaning cancellation of debility. Similarly, aspect of two exalted planets would result in weakening of the respective houses, unless otherwise aspected by some other benefic. There are over 6000 Yogas (both good and bad) that can be seen in a horoscope. I am just making a very short brief on the followingRef5:
Gaga Kesari Yoga.
Gajakesari Yoga depicts a relation between Guru (Jupiter) and Chandra(Moon). It occurs when these two Grahas are in a kendra(quadrant) from each other. Simply put, Moon should be in 1-4-7-10 houses from Jupiter or vice-versa. It is also said to occur if Guru is in a kendra (1-4-7-10) from Lagna. The second requirement is that both Guru and Chandra should be strong, well-placed, without afflictions and with benefic associations. Important celebrities who had Gaja Kesari yoga—Mahatma Gandhi, Queen Elizabeth II, Maharaja Krishna raja Wodeyar. Gaja Kesari me and the elephant and the lion. These two animals symbol of royalty and majestic icons on the earth. Lion is the king of forest and strongest animal on earth and elephant is biggest animal on the earth. leo is the strongest rasi in zodiac. When Jupiter and moon conjunct in 1st , 4th, 7th and 10th places it is said to be Gajakesari yoga. It is similar to raja yoga. Raja yoga needs some more planets combinations in a horoscope along with Gajakesari yoga. Raja yoga without Gajakesari yoga doesn’t give much respect to the native. But Gajakesari yoga without any raja yoga the native gets at most respect and familiarity. The major setback of Gajakesari yoga is , these people with yoga are useful to the society and dependents and closely connected people only. People associated with the natives of Gajakesari yoga will be benefitted a lot. But the native with yoga get at most respect in their circle of people but financial and other comforts are not assured unless the other planets in the houses should support. The natives of this yoga are mostly suitable in advisory fields, Ministries, religious heads, and in honorary posts. Normally these individuals shine with any adversary effects and overcome them successfully displaying determination and courage.
Neechabanga Raja Yoga
In astrology, there are signs where planets get debilitated which in Hindi means “Neecha” and termed as powerless and when such debility gets annulled by some special planetary alignments then its called as Neechabanga and when such “Neecha bhanga” converts into raja yoga then it is called as “Neechabanga raj yoga”. Ruler of the sign occupied by the debilitated planet is in a Kendra position from the Moon or the Lagna. Examples suppose your Venus is debilitated which means it is in Virgo. Then the lord of Virgo which is Mercury should be in Kendra i.e houses 1,4,7,10 from ascendant or from Moon. The ruler of the sign where the debilitated planet achieves exaltation is in a Kendra position from the Moon or Lagna. Example If your Mars is debilitated which means Mars is in Cancer sign. Now Mars gets exalted in the sign of Capricorn whose lord is Saturn. Therefore, to have cancellation of debilitation Saturn should be Kendra house i.e.,1,4,7,10 from ascendant or from Moon.
GRAH MALLIKA YOGA. Malika Yoga is said to occur when all the planets other then Rahu and Ketu position themselves in each house, one in one, starting from any house one after the other in a Rashi; this planetary combination leads to the formation of Malika Yoga in a Rashi. Below is the chart of a great raja rishi.
Adhi Shankara and Paramacharya of Kanchi were having Grahamaliga yoga. It has to be noted that this is an extremely rare yoga which mostly signifies the birth chart of a leading Guru of the decade or probably of a generation (33 years) or a century. .
24.Considering the fact that the surface of the earth is flat at the ends and the vertical axis has a tilt the circular motion of earth around itself and on the zodiac at time gives an apparent feeling that due to relative velocity the some planets seem to travel faster towards the next zodiac sign called adichara rapid motion OR gives an apparent feeling some planets seem to travel backwards or on retrograde motion for a few months. It is important to note only Jupiter and Saturn will alone give the effect of the zodiac sign they occupy during Adichara and retrograde motion.
25.The lagna chart or D1 chart can be divided to D2, D3, D3,…..D12 charts to arrive at the new configuration of planets to have a deeper understanding of the forecasting techniques. The D9 chart is navamsa which is normally viewed along with the D1 chart as it represents fortune. If deeper understanding of married life & spouse is required, the D7 chart has to be computed and studied. Similarly, if the future of progeny is to be analysed the D5 chart has to be critically viewed.
26. The strength each planet provides to a house has to be computed by Asthtavargha, Sarvasthatakavargha, Shodasvargha, step by step calculations to understand the strength of each planet (negative or positive) to a particular house to analyse any of the houses from D2 to D12.
Epilogue: Astrology is an extraordinarily complex subject which requires multi-tasking of studying the planetary position at the time of birth, current planetary transits, dasa Bhukti, star, star lord, aspects and conjunction in a house, planetary strength of each and every planet as defined in point no 26 to arrive at one prediction that is to be as accurate as possible. Many a times astrologers ignore some of these aspects which are highly time consuming to compute and logically infer & hence we end u getting wrong predictions. Last if not the least, fate is something that is written and determined by Parmeshwara, and therefore it is incorrect to look for short cuts in the name of pariharas. Pariharas would give temporary relief but karma is something that will dictate its own direction for the future of an individual. A question then comes as to when to seek the advice of astrology. Ancient Vedic scriptures suggest that it could be at the time of upanayana for boys and rutu for girls. Thereafter it is at the time of identifying the right vidya and the guru for the same. Post Vidya completion it is referred for vivaha (marriage & childbirth) and finally to determine the timing for Vanaprastha.
The article is not complete or exhaustive but to give an idea as what this complex science and the extent to which it is to be adhered. There can be several MB/GB worth of write ups and several other explanations that could be given to every point stated here by experts, and therefore I wish to place my standard disclaimer that this article is not a case by case study
Tributes (Within Twitter)
I would like to bring the inspirations & tributes I drew from following the astrological tweets of the following handles in twitter and would like to point out that I am constantly adding knowledge on this subject:
@jamwal_rocky who has predicted the incidence of COVID 19 in India very correctly several months back
@LevinaNeythri for her excellent defence threats and diplomacy solutions based on astrology
@Anirudh_Astro who consistently raises the bar in reaching close to perfection after post his initial obseravtions as accurate as possible
@PunyaPrakop_ who comes with brilliant Gochara predictions
Tributes/References (External & my personal connections)
I am also privileged to take extracts from the following scientist and other astrologers whom I have been associated in the past, without which my article will always never have a proper closing
Reference:Ref1—Dr. Satyamoorthy a very senior chemical engineer and my senior and a veteran in sugar technology—His article in Chemical Engineering world of India—January 1982.
Ref-2: Published edition by Vedic astrologer Mona International conference of Astrologers 2004
REF3: Arsh Mishra astro analyst April 2017 (international symposium)Vedic and western astrology are indeed different and differ in a lot of ways.
Ref4: Dr. BV Raman the renowned Indian Astrologer in his boof Vedic astrology
Ref5: Advanced Stellar astrology and methodology of house strength and planet strength by Dr. Krishnamurthy Padathi.