Prep Time – 25 minutes
Cook Time – 25 minutes + 1 hour cooling time
Yield – 8 pieces
Course – Dessert / Sweetdish
Theme – Zero Wastage
- Grated Watermelon Rind from 1 medium size Water Melon
- 1/2 cup or as required Sugar
- 1/4 cup Water + Juice extracted from the grated Watermelon rind
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 2 Pinch of Salt
- 1/2 tsp Cardamom powder
- 2 tbsp Milk Powder
- 2 tbsp Almond and Pistachio flakes
- Few Saffron strands
- Squeeze out the juice from the watermelon rind.
- Add water, juice of grated watermelon rind and sugar in a pan.
- In few minutes add salt and let the liquid simmer for a minute.
- Add 2 tbsp milk and continue to simmer.
- Strain the liquid out and pour the liquid back into the pan and let it continue to simmer until one string is formed.
- Add the watermelon rind into the sugar syrup and continue to cook on low flame until the ingredients changes its colour to golden brown.
- Add the milk, cardamom powder, milk powder, few saffron strands and 1 tbsp of almond – pistachio flakes into watermelon rind.
- Continue to stir and cook on low flame until all the ingredients form into a lump.
- Pour in the mixture into a greased square mould, level the barfi evenly.
- Sprinkle the remaining saffron, almond, and pistachio flakes.
- Leave the mixture to cool down.
- Cut the barfi into square pieces and serve them.
About the Chef – Sumitra Chowdhury
Hi I am Sumitra Chowdhury, an ex teacher to a passionate Home Chef. I am a passionate foodie by birth, I love to cook and recreate dishes with simple ingredients available in my kitchen. I love to chronicle each and every recipe I makes in my blog. I love regional, lost recipes and creating various types of vegetarian and non vegetarian pickles. I have won several prizes for online and live cooking contest.
I am a part of a NGO, spreading happiness among others through street events. I love creativity. I enjoy any classical art form, story telling with puppets, gardening, painting and making DIY with recycled things, travelling and photography.
Remember the Flavors ….?
An Initiative by IndSamachar Foods
To help motivate everyone, we want you to share your favourite recipes with IndSamachar Foods. The most innovative recipe stands to win an attractive hamper. All you need to do is send in your recipes to [email protected] in the below format in a word document.
- Image of the dish: – Original only
- Name of the recipe
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
Even if you don’t win, your recipe could feature in our food section. The recipe must be an original or an original adaptation. Please provide a photo of the Chef, bio and all social media handles along with the recipe. Service charges may apply.
• Submissions must be original
• IndSamachar.com reserves the right to use the recipe sent by the contestants.
• Each month’s winner names will be announced on the site.
• Participants can send in a maximum of 3 recipes every month.
• Winners would be selected by a panel of esteemed chefs and connoisseurs.