- Ever wondered why 1.3 billion people stayed at home in India during lockdown when even countries like America failed to achieve this discipline? PM Narendra Modi embedding the social distancing norm with ‘Lakshman Rekha’ analogy and the protect your family avaahan. Western countries are individual centred civilisations. While India is family centered. Household and not individual is the unit of awareness.
- We trace our antecedents to Rishis (gotra) while western civilisation traces ancestry to Kings. Knowledge is pride and source of self-realisation. ‘Sa Vidya ya vimukthaye’
- Could never resonate or gain from management or motivation theories of West. All of which addresses individual ‘need’. Our traditional source of motivation is embedded in the concept of ‘debt’ or ऋण – pitru ऋण, guru ऋण etc
- Worldview is at the core of social sciences theory. And when western culture-based theories are popularised – it also propagates their world views. Importanat to encourage and engage in our traditional culture-based research to contextualise our ancient wisdom so that it carries on for generations
- Utility maximisation view of human beings – need to change to more Indian culturally aligned and humane frameworks. And our upanishads have it – we just need to see
- The word Leadership – categorises leader and follower. While नेतृत्वम् which connotes leadership in Sanskrit means ‘netra’ to ‘see’ – awareness and knowledge.
Proud to be Bharatiya! Jai Hind
PV. S. Narayanan
Follow him @PVNNarayanan